Saturday, May 14, 2005

The studious pedicure


The written portion of my advancement to candidacy exam is a closed-book exam on specific topics in cell and molecular neurobiology. I have ten topics to study. I have set up meetings with people who are interested in or knowledgeable about the different topics. Today's meeting was on Alzheimer's. We met over brunch and then got pedicures. Better than golf, I'd say. By the time we got to the pedicures, I was done talking about Alzheimer's and so I read Vogue and chatted. They were showing an embarrassingly sexually explicit video in the store (salon?). The stylish looking middle-aged black women across from me were talking with each other about it. In the video, a Janet Jackson concert video, a man had been brought up from the audience, tied to a platform and then groped by Ms. Jackson. The women were feeling sorry for the guy. It was a very nice interaction.

No comments: