Monday, March 14, 2005

Potluck or Massacre?

I'm not feeling bleak, but bleak things are appealing to me. Somehow they are comforting when I'm somewhat down. Right now I'm feeling ok, not great, not good, but not bad, and that's an improvement.

Anyway, here's what inspired me to write. I was reading a New York Times article about Terry Ratzmann's killing of his pastor and other members of his church in Wisconsin. The article reads like a straight news article of a tragedy, as I would expect. But here's how it ends:
Tapes of several 911 calls from church members reveal chaos, with people wailing and screaming in the background.
"Oh my, oh no, oh no, oh no, Gloria is dead, oh no, oh no, oh no, there's at least - how many are on the floor? - 5 to 10," the woman says. "Five to 10 at least, oh my, one of my friends is laying on the floor, I think she's dead. This is a massacre."

"All of a sudden we heard bang like a firecracker, but it was so loud and then again and again," the woman continued. "My husband pushed me down to the floor, my son. We all went to the floor, everybody.

"Right after this we're having a potluck and then an entertainment show this evening," she added. "I think it's all on hold."
Tell me that the last paragraph doesn't add a completely surreal aspect to the story. Just tell me that.

The roommate and I watched the movie Napoleon Dynamite tonight. It wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was a little slow moving for me. Once I started viewing it as an absurdist piece, I liked it more though.

No comments: